Saturday, October 20, 2012

First Observation: 10/16/2012

First Blog: 10/16/2012

On Tuesday, October 16th, I made my microaquarium for our Botany class. For my particular microaquarium, I used water source # 5, which was the Meads Quarry, located at "Island Home Ave, Knox Co.Tennessee. There was Partial shade exposure Rock Quarry N35 57.162 W83 51.960 880 and the sample was taken on 10/9/2011," (Bio 111). Using a pipet, I extracted enough water and sediment from the bottom of the source water to fill the microaquarium about 1/3 full. Then I did the same thing again, except I used the middle layer of water form my source. And once again I filled it the last 1/3 full from the surface of source 5. I also used two plants, labeled Plant A and Plant B, for decoration. Plant A  is "Amblestegium sp. Moss. Collection from: Natural spring. at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN. It had partial shade exposure. N36 01.168 W83 42.832. The sample was taken on 10/9/2011," (Bio 111). Plant B is "Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN," (Bio 111).



 When I first observed my microaquarium under a microscope I noticed several different types of organisms. The first thing I identified, with the help of my lab instructor, was a Nematode and I only saw one of these. I also saw some pond scum and what looked to be protozoa. Also, I saw something that may be in the same species as a Paramecium, and there several of these I observed throughout my microaquarium. I concluded that it wasn't a Paramecium because it was moving way too fast. Another organism I saw was Desmids, and I believe I only saw one of these as well. All of these organisms I saw on the first day of observation, 10/16/2012.


Here is finally a picture of my MicroAquarium! Isn't it cute? Taken on 10/30/2012
The color dots represent the color of my lab section, green for section 002. The second dot represents the table I am sitting at during lab, which i table four I believe, and the third dot signifies the seat at which I sit during lab, seat 2. This way, each student can identify their microaquarium from everyone else. 

Bibliography:  
McFarland, K. 2012. Bio 111 Fall 2012. Blogspot.com. http://botany1112012.blogspot.com. Accessed 2012 October 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment