Friday, November 9, 2012

MicroAquarium as of 11/8/2012

Much is going on in the land of microorganisms! I know my little creatures that live in my microaquarium are just loving their home, chilling about and eating each other. It's quite interesting, I feel as if I am playing god watching them swim around and do cool things, and they obvious don't know I am there. Fun stuff!

But anyways...here's an update of my microbial friends:

Remember that Amoeba I was so interested so see last week? Well, BAM! I look and immediately I see  several chillin' there and changing shape right before my eyes. I was stoked to say the least. And when I say several, I mean A BUNCH! I literally saw about 10 or 12 all about my microaquarium, so I am pretty sure they are enjoying that food pellet I spoke of last week. Yum yum.

Along with the amoebas, once again there seems to be an abundance of Rotifers swimming around, there are so many! Too many to even count. There isn't too much to say about these creatures, except that they like to swim around in circles, haha. Pretty entertaining watching them. Besides the usual rotifer, I also saw a Philodina, which is another type of rotifer I found out, this is the first time I saw this particular type of rotifer and I only saw one.

When you scroll down to the bottom of my microaquarium, there isn't as much dead organisms as I thought there would be, thankfully! I like to see life. Anyways, there are some shells from some Seed Shrimp that have died. (R.I.P seed shrimps!).

I saw some green netted algae among my microaquarium, although there isn;t much algae in my microaquarium either, probably because my water source was the rock quarry I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. 

Recall those bubbles I found so interesting under the microscope? Well, yesterday I saw four or five bubbles in my microaquarium, pretty sweet looking at them super up close!

There was a shortage of Paramecium abundance this week, certainly not as many as I saw two weeks ago. I only saw a couple here and there swimming around. 

Diatoms are cool, especially when you see a bunch, bunched together. They seemed to chill together towards the bottom of my microaquarium right above the sediment. 

Towards the bottom of my microaquarium, I saw these two giant (which you know, where really quite small considering they were magnified) brown, weird looking egg type things, so I asked Ken what they were and he just told me they were decaying plant parts. They had holes all up in them and they were funky! Makes sense though that they were dead plant parts I guess. 

I spotted another Aeolosoma swimming around in the bottom in the sediment of my microaquarium eating some algae and what not, but this week I only saw one, whereas last week I saw several. Who knows what happened to the rest...

A new organism I found living in my microaquarium this week was a the Euplotes, I thought they were fairly interesting, due to their amount of little legs they seemed to have. I saw them everywhere in my microaquarium and wondered what they were for the longest time, then I got them identified my Ken. Cool little organisms.

Another new creature I came upon was the Diffugia, which seemed to live towards the bottom of my microaquarium and kinda looked like a piece of dirt. Now that I know what they actually are, I noticed several in my microaquarium this week. 

Last week I posted a picture of a Vorticella I came upon in my microaquarium, however this week I saw many Vorticella all among each other in a large group, probably about 8 or 9 were all grouped together. 

Towards the end of my observation, I saw a gigantic creature (compared to everything else) and decided it was a cyclops. It swam super fast and it was very hard to keep up with with the microscope. 



-That's about every organism I encountered this week, come back sometime next week to find out what creature I have came upon!

No comments:

Post a Comment